SAFEGUARD THE CHILDREN REQUIREMENTS
FOR MINISTRIES THAT INTERACT WITH CHILDREN
All parish volunteers that interact with children are required to meet the requirements set forth by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles' Protecting Our Children Program. Please see the Ministry / Group page you are interested in joining to see if you must satisfy these requirements.
FOR VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18
- Fill out a “Volunteer Application for Minors.”
- Junior or high school students must sign the “Guidelines for Junior and Senior High School Youth Working or Volunteering With Children or Youth” agreement.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 are not required to attend VIRTUS training or be fingerprinted, however their parents must comply with the requirements for volunteers over the age of 18.
FOR VOLUNTEERS OVER THE AGE OF 18
1. FILL OUT A VOLUNTEER FORM — Your information is needed to insure that we have your current information in our database so you are covered by our insurance while you are on Church property.
2. BE FINGERPRINTED — Fingerprinting is a one-time event. You can be fingerprinted at a local parish (for free) or police department (for $10). If you have been fingerprinted for a past job or other group, you will need to be fingerprinted again through the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- At a local parish — Check the bulletin for upcoming events at parishes in the Santa Barbara area
- At the local police department — Come by the rectory and pick up a form, then head to your local police department for fingerprinting.
3. PARTICIPATE IN VIRTUS TRAINING — VIRTUS training is offered in two phases, (initial training and ongoing training):
- Initial Training is a three-hour class, typically offered on a Saturday. Check the parish bulletin for times and locations or visit: www.virtuswebsite.com for classes in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.
- Ongoing Training is required to renew your VIRTUS training every four years. One-and-a-half hour classes are offered on weekends or weekday nights in the area. Check the parish bulletin or visit: www.virtuswebsite.com for classes in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.
4. SIGN THE “ADULTS INTERACTING WITH MINORS ACKNOWLEDGMENT” FORM
This agreement must be signed and renewed annually. Download the form online from all parish ministry web pages or get a copy in the rectory.
OBTAIN A COPY OF YOUR CERTIFICATE FOR VIRTUS TRAINING
- Contact Joan Vienna in the Safeguard the Children Office at: email@example.com or 213-637-7227
- Provide your name, address, phone number, date of training, facilitator's name, and region (Santa Barbara)